Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Otak-Otak (Spicy Fish Mousse)

For once, I decided to start blogging with Twenty Something & Cooking instead of Happee Monkee. I feel bad having to use the same material twice. So today, I decided to dance to a different tune.

Lately, I've been invited to a few gourmet events. One was Taste of Melbourne last Friday and just yesterday I met Peter Doyle of Est. at a Kiehl's launch. To tell you the truth, I hadn't heard of him before and apparently, he's quite a big shot in the culinary world. The man in flesh is really down-to-earth and friendly, a little shy and very unassuming. It's nice to know that fame and glamour doesn't always impact someone negatively.

Anyway, after all the gourmet eating, I think it might have gotten to my head as much as my stomach. Otak-Otak is a very conventional home dish. I love how the spice, herbs and fish works so well into a moussy smoothness. I don't know why it's called Otak-Otak because it translates as 'brain' in Malay. Perhaps there is truth in the belief that eating lots of fish makes you brainier. I'm not sure. But what I'm sure is that it's absolutely yummy.

Otak-Otak (Spicy Fish Mousse)
----------------------------------------------------------

  • 400g white fish fillets
  • 1/2 cup (8 tbsp) of red curry paste
  • 1 tbsp cornflour
  • mint leaves
  • 1 egg
  • 2 teaspoons of lime juice
  • 1 cup of coconut milk
  • 1 teaspoon of fish sauce
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper
Method:
  1. Chop fish into small pieces or to make into a paste, work it in a food processor.
  2. Mix all the ingredients together.
  3. Marinate for 20 - 30 minutes.
  4. Steam it on medium-high heat for 15 minutes until cooked and set.
Variation:
  1. Make an aluminum foil envelope or a loaf tin and bake for 20 minutes in a preheated oven at 170C till skewer comes out clean.
  2. Bake in a bain marie (loaf tin) in a pre-heated oven at 150-175 degree Celcius (300-350 degree F) for 20-25 minutes till skewer comes out clean when it is put into the centre of the fish cake.

0 comments: