Saturday, August 23, 2008

No Yeast Pizza

I didn't do this intentionally. I just hadn't realize that the packet of dried yeast in my drawer had expired two years ago. Since Mr. G and I had already done all our shopping for the morning, I decided to think of a substitute. Besides, my aching legs were begging me no more (read: lazy); it was another cold and wet morning (read: lazy); Mr. G had to do some reading for work on Monday (read: lazy).

So instead of doing the proper thing, this lazy twenty-something took the leap and jumped into improvisation. Hence, a 'no-yeast-pizza'. It wasn't bad. I reckon it tasted pretty good. Mr. G couldn't tell the difference (very often he just enjoys his food while I scrutinize the food). I liked how the dough was herby and the additional fresh basil worked lovely bringing the pizza home.This recipe was adapted from Arudathi's blog. You can get the original recipe (with yeast) here.

No Yeast Pizza (serves 2)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

  • 1 1/2 cup self-raising flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp dried herbs of choice (basil’s great!)
  • 1/2 tsp lemon juice (to activate the alkaline in the baking soda)

Method:

  1. Preheat the oven to 220C.
  2. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
  3. Add the olive oil and water and combine to form a ball.
  4. Knead just until it forms a smooth dough.
  5. Divide the dough into half.
  6. Roll out the dough on baking paper till required thickness.
  7. Add your favourite toppings and bake for 10 minutes.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

your no yeast pizza looks good!

gosh i am having my lazy days too T_T lazy lazy lazy me

Patricia Scarpin said...

It looks good, though!

Arundathi said...

So glad you liked it - what a great idea to do a yeast-less dough! looks great.

Unknown said...

Thanks sooo much. I followed the recipe, tweaked it to my liking and here is how it turned out: Pizza